In this quick post I will show you how to install a LAMP server on Linux Mint using apt-get to make the entire process automatic and easy. I will also show you how to quickly install phpMyAdmin and Sendmail to make it possible for your scripts to send emails if you need them to.
Installing LAMP on Linux Mint 13 | Maya | KDE | XFCE
1. Install Apache2 on Linux Mint using apt-get.
sudo apt-get install apache2
2. Install PHP and the module enabling Apache to work with PHP using apt-get.
sudo apt-get install php5 libapache2-mod-php5
3. Install MySQL Server and set root MySQL user password with the following command, it will automatically prompt you for the password during installation.
sudo apt-get install mysql-server
4. Install Sendmail or phpMyAdmin with the 2 following commands. (I read something about Sendmail not being used that much anymore but it does the job if this is just for web development or something similar, when I installed with the following command it worked right away however you may need to restart Apache.)
sudo apt-get install phpmyadmin
sudo apt-get install sendmail
5. Restart Apache with the following command to ensure everything works properly.
sudo /etc/init.d/apache2 restart
6. Create a quick php test script that uses the phpinfo() function to test your server with. After running this command simply open up Firefox or Chrome and go to http://127.0.0.1/index.php or http://localhost/index.php.
sudo echo “<?php phpinfo(); ?>” > /var/www/index.php
If this post helped you get a LAMP server running on Linux Mint please don’t forget to share/comment, if I missed anything also please let me know so I can learn as-well as update this post.
Incoming search terms:
- lamp linux mint
- linux mint server
- apache web server for xfce
- linux mint lamp
- install lamp linux mint
- mint server
- mint lamp
- install lamp linux mint 13
- install lamp on linux mint
- install lamp mint